Cold Weather Construction Tips from Blades Direct
With bitterly-cold temperatures gripping most of the East Coast of the United States, we thought it would be helpful to post some cold weather construction tips for contractors and construction personnel who will be working in the elements in the coming days and weeks ahead. The following guidelines should be followed when working in temperatures at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit:
- Use proper cold weather construction enclosures. Flimsy tarps and other makeshift enclosure units are not acceptable when dealing with below-freezing temperatures.
- Keep materials and construction equipment dry.
- Materials, when not in use, should be covered at all times.
- Provide sufficient heating units/space heaters for workers. Be mindful of potential electrical/fire hazards when using heating units.
- Schedule work hours at the warmest times of the day. Nighttime projects should be avoided, if at all possible.
- Take frequent breaks and seek warm shelter when not at work.
- Eat foods that are high in calorie content such as nuts and pasta.
- Drink warm beverages in an insulated thermos while on break. However, avoid caffeinated drinks such as coffee