Saw and Blade Safety – Helpful Tips
The operation of saws, blades, mixers, compactors, and drill bits are accompanied with safety risks that range from mild, all the way to extremely severe (which includes death). Below are some helpful tips for equipment operators, as well as others involved in contracting, construction, or home renovation projects.
- Wear eye protection at all times.
- Wear hearing protection (headphones, ear plugs, etc). Hearing loss can be a gradual process and protection should be worn at all times.
- Keep items and debris away from your work area to avoid stumbling or tripping over them.
- Avoid loose-fitting clothing (items that may get caught in machinery or equipment).
- Wear proper footwear/boots with non-slip soles.
- Turn cell phones off and keep them away from your work area to avoid distraction.
- Stand on an even, level surface.
- If possible, do not operate machinery equipment alone and have a “spotter.”
- Remove all jewelry before operating equipment.
- Place long hair in a tight bun or pony tail.
- ... above all, use common sense!